The Lack Of Business Owner Motivation Has Rapidly Grown Over The Past Several Years.
Business owner motivation is the fundamental key to staying in business… You, as an entrepreneur need to Motivate Your Business By First Motivating Yourself! When business is already doing well, staying motivated is not really an issue. But when things hit a wall and business starts to slow down it’s easy to lose your drive… This lack of motivation can be crippling in many ways and could lead to depression, but more importantly it can lead to losing your business completly… I would be willing to bet that the ability & skill to motivate your staff is one of the most profound traits an entrepreneur can posses. The problem is, how can an entrepreneur motivate their employees if they are struggling to motivate themselves? You have to be the leader for your business and set the tone for enthusiasm in order for anyone else to follow… It’s essential for you as a business owner to stay motivated for the future success of your business…. This is easier than it looks if you follow everything I’m about to tell you… I am by no means a motivational speaker or expert on how to inspire you, but what I do know is how “We” and our collogues stay motivated… I’ve listened to some of the best and highly motivated entrepreneurs over the years and I will share my experience with you in hopes this will help “You” to stay motivated…
Let’s reinvigorate your entrepreneurial spirit!
Here are several tips for staying motivated, refreshed and focused on your dream!
Find The “Spark” That Started It All!
How long has it been since you thought about what inspired you to start your business? Did someone suggest the idea to you? A seminar you attended? A vision you had? First thing to do is reconnect with that person or experience that ignited your Entrepreneur Spark! I reignite that creative inspiration by going to the place that started it all. I’ve said time and time again that the Tapia Family comes from humble beginnings. Well, ever heard the phrase “Never forget where you come from.” It’s more than true; it’s almost an awakening! Whenever I need a boost of inspiration, it’s important for me to go back to those places that motivated me, enlightened me and pushed me to take that leap! Your brain is hard wired to evoke emotionally charged memories based on sight, sound and smell! If your spark is located out of state, pack up your laptop and charge your phone so you can take quick trip to your inspiration. Think of it as a mini vacation… My dad (Mike Tapia) worked for many radio stations and other large advertising agencies over the years in the past. Those agencies and stations had a mindset of greed and ego. My dad’s biggest problem with the corporate “BIG” firms and radio executives was the lack of customer service. They flat out didn’t care what the customer thought… In 2006, my dad and I decided to go after our “Dream” and start our own Advertising Agency. When those individuals heard that we were starting our own advertising firm – that would be focused on customer service and creative promotions, they laughed and said “You’ll be out of business in a year.” I was determined to prove those people wrong… As of January 2014, Tapia Advertising Celebrated 8 years in business with a record year in 2013! Whenever I get creative block, I go back to visit the home I grew up in. I walk up and down the neighborhood streets I used to play in as a child… More importantly, I go back to the street where my brother was hit by a car and died… This may not seem like a great place to go for inspiration but it has been for me… It reminds me on what a gift and opportunity we all have right now just to be alive. My brother was my best friend and the most creative teenager I’ve ever known. He died at only 14 years old and had so much to look forward too. His existence inspires me everyday to use this time we all have on earth, as wisely as you can! When I go to that place, I tell myself “whatever you do today is important, because you traded a day of your life for it… Don’t waist a days moment to be the best that you possibly can!” Always remember, you are the only one that can find your spark that pushed you to get started…
Remind Yourself Every Day On What It Is You Are Fighting For!
The best time of day to remind you of your future goals is to post a sign on the inside of your home front door so you can read it before you leave every morning. This may seem cheesy but I can promise you that it works… 8 years ago; I made a hand written sign that says “Phillip, People Are Depending On You To Succeed… When You Walk Out This Door, You Will GIVE EVERYTHING YOU’VE GOT!” On September 26th, 2013 – I finally changed my sign to “Phillip, Mika and Cassie Are Depending On You To Succeed… When You Walk Out This Door, You Will GIVE EVERYTHING YOU’VE GOT!” That was the proudest day of my life, the day my daughter (Mika) was born… I honestly get a little choked up when I read my old sign; it was the quote that started my day for 8 years, the quote I lived by even when business wasn’t so great, the quote that gave me hope and determination to succeed… That faded, weathered piece of paper is now framed in my office. Beats framing our first dollar, this means something more to all of us in my family.
Spend 20 Minutes Every Day Reading Success Stories:
Sleep & Dream With Positive Thoughts:
Set New Goals:
Working toward “New” fresh business goals is a highly charged motivator. First, write down no less than five short-term goals that have specific deadlines for reaching them. In addition, break down two long-range goals into manageable daily or weekly tasks. It’s important to make a daily task agenda that you can follow everyday. Make it simple; call it “Things To Do Today” on a piece of paper with five bullet points that begin with the hardest task. Working from the most difficult task of the day is a way to fill accomplishment by knocking out the hardest thing you had to do today (one by one it gets easier as you go through your morning list). Track your progress. With each step forward, your interest and self-confidence are more than likely to increase.
Celebrate & Enjoy Your Successes:
Success is a positive addiction (As long as it’s used for the right reasons), you get a taste of it and you want more! It’s important to take pride in what you’ve already accomplished and achieved. Do you recall how good it felt to reach a certain milestone in your life or career, to become a business owner, or to make a life-changing decision? Don’t get so overwhelmed by the success that you forget to enjoy it. Take a break, maybe a day just for you or with the family, you’ll feel refreshed and motivated to go back to work… When you do go back, don\\\\\\\’t forget to praise your dependable employees that deserved the waited appreciation. There is a proven study that says “encouraging others helps self encouragement.” Something to think about… 🙂
Seek Inspiration From Others:
If you’re bold enough to go out and start your own business, you will encounter many other business owners that are motivated to succeed as well. We all admire and look up a certain individual, either in our personal lives or on the world stage. For example, many self-starters & entrepreneurs have been inspired by the achievements of many icons like Steve Jobs, Walt Disney or Richard Branson. The more you learn about how other successful innovators beat the odds and overcame their obstacles, the more motivated you’ll be to overcome your own obstacles and challenges.
Stay Away From Negativity:
Trust me when I say there will be negative people that would rather put your ideas, mind-set and thought process down instead of supporting your enthusiasm. When these external events prevent you from reaching a goal or milestone, try to avoid falling into a negative or depressive mind-set that will decrease your motivation. This might not seem easy, but here is how to react to these incidents instead of letting it bother you. Immediately change your thinking and look for the opportunities these negative events can create. Ever heard the phrase “In order to be successful, you need to surround yourself with successful people.” This is true and easier than you think. Center yourself with other like-minded entrepreneurs and outside positive influences that similar goals. Is your business in a strip center or mall? Talk to your neighboring businesses to bounce ideas off of each other. If you own a home business, join a networking group to discuss ideas with people you can relate with. – Great way to meet other entrepreneurs is on Facebook! Fan pages and Facebook Groups make it easy to meet and connect with hundreds of small business owners and entrepreneurs who are happy to swap success stories! One of the fastest growing fan pages for small business owners and marketers is a fan page called Marketing Genius.
My father told me how frustrating it was to work for superiors that were stuck in their ways and not interested in new creative ideas. He told me a story that occurred ten years ago with an ad agency he previously worked for. He said that the leadership would stifle his creativity and suggestions because they weren\\\\\\\’t willing to diversify. He would joke often that they were stuck in the 80\\\\\\\’s. Their main reason for not staying current with new marketing ideas was simply because they didn\\\\\\\’t want to waist the time or were just to stubborn to admit that times have changed; Simply put – EGO! He got in trouble one time by asking his boss during a meeting “Do you really think women of today are at home watching daytime TV with curlers in their hair while standing at the ironing board? Do you actually think women are just stay at home wives and mothers? The most important question is, Do you not believe women are working? The reality is, women are business owners, management and strong leaders in our community!” His boss looked at him a little embarrassed and responded with “Yes, I believe women are at home watching daytime TV, plus the TV spots are cheap during the day.” My dad was shocked with this response and ended up quitting that week. The owner was so passionate to advertise on daytime television, he lost sight of the goal! Our job was to get results for our clients. This was not happening with his strategy and the clients were not getting any new business and the agency was losing clients due to this idealism. Not willing to admit he is wrong, this sadly continues to this day… The truth is, times of technology have changed and will continue to change. What was popular in the 80\\\\\\\’s is definitely not popular today! Before i move on to my next subject, i suggest you need to stay up on current trends, a great way to do this is by subscribing to AdAge! swap the negative-news media coverage for motivational videos or podcasts on your ipod that can play in the background while your working. – Background motivation is a type of subliminal messaging. You can also listen to music that lifts you up… It is essential to avoid negative friends, family and colleagues who only create or speak of negativity! If a friend is constantly trying to put your dream down, it’s time for new friends! Sorry, but this is true… Unless you want them to hold you down so you don’t rise above them, they Gotta Go! Always remember the phrase – Misery Loves Company! Now on the other hand, it’s not so easy to find new family members, so the best way to handle this is to discuss your feelings about their negativity. Have a one on one conversation with them and don’t hold back (They sure don’t when putting your dream down), just explain that you are not interested in hearing what they have to say about your business. Instead, they need to be supporting you! Hang out with upbeat, ambitious people who have similar aspirations and the desire to make their dreams a reality.
The Last 6 Suggestions Are What I Like To Call “Phil’s Philosophy On Your Business.”
- If you have the vision to make your company a huge success, don’t allow negative influences to steer you off course. Stay Focused On The Goal!
- If your offering a product or service, always remember that nothing is more important than quality of that product or service. What ever you’re offering to the public, you only offer the best. If you cannot do this, close your doors and get out of the way for another business that will. Not trying to be rude, but the reality is if you strive for perfection, you will receive tremendous results… Nothing less will allow a great company to survive, much less thrive. Don’t become so involved with financials that you lose sight of your original goal, which is to make the very, very best product or service available! The money will come in faster than you could have ever imagined if your #1 goal is to provide quality of product or service…
- Never stop improving and perfecting. If your product isn’t obviously superior to other solutions, you haven’t accomplished your #1 priority.
- Be different! Make sure your business can and will fulfill needs no one else can – at least not well! For example, say you own a restaurant and you provide the best service with amazing food. People will talk about your business – not how much it costs for the quality service they received but how much they loved it! This will create devoted, diehard customers that believe in your establishment. This keeps them from considering your competition. Think of the phrase – “Go where everybody knows your name.” Your loyal customers now become your biggest ambassadors…
- If you have lazy employees, no questions asked, you follow the steps to motivate them. If they are not interested in your enthusiasm, it’s time to start looking for someone that will. I can’t stand abusive management or ownership so please do not treat them unfairly! The key is to have them inspired to work for you, not fear you… You are the business owner; you are an individual of integrity and vision, not a sleazy heartless individual. Your staff is the front line of your product or service; they follow the code of “Your Business,” take great pride in that… Plain and simple, you have the choice to lead your staff and inspire them to be the best, or you can allow the lazy ones to hurt your business. You run a business, not a hobby… If you have nothing left to offer your business, call me and I’ll motivate your staff and help you turn your business around!
- Be the passionate leader and spokesperson for you business! Don’t expect your product or service to sell itself! If your not excited about what your business offers to the community why should your customers be? Always remember to never look back at what you’ve done over your career, but instead keep looking forward at making what no anyone else can…
- Always remember that your not alone in your struggles! Entrepreneurs face obstacles everyday… Think of the greats, the game changers, the rebels and the ones that refused to lose! They went through situations most people would consider impossible for them to overcome… Well, nothing is impossible… They did it, and so can YOU!